This firmware upgrade makes your Cybook compatible with Adobe DRM (exclusively).
Latest features (common to versions 1.6 & 2.1)
- Cybook can be switched on/off in 1 second, keeping last read page open.
- Note 1: works on all 400 MHz Cybooks (Gen3 v3, Gen3 – Gold Edition and all Opus’).
- Note 2: in this mode, device is actually in deep-sleep mode (very low power consumption).
- “Shutdown” option now available from “Advanced…” menu.
- On 400 MHz Cybooks, one can press the power off button for 2 seconds.
- On 200 MHz Cybooks, power off button behaves as usual.
- Note: when shut down, Cybook will display a blank screen with a “switched-off” icon.
9 new user interface languages for a total of 23 languages
- New: Danish, Croatian, Hungarian, Portuguese, Romanian, Turkish, Slovak, Chinese simplified & Chinese traditional.
- User interface is now available in a total of 23 languages: Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Slovak, Slovenian, Chinese simplified & Chinese traditional.
- Note: to be able to select a Chinese user interface, a Chinese font must be present in the “Fonts” directory.
Chinese/Japanese/Korean and other international content in “Library”
- Support for Chinese, Japanese & Korean (CJK) file names and metadata.
- Non Latin/Greek/Cyrillic text will automatically be rendered using another user supplied font (“Fonts” directory).
- Note: works for all left-to-right languages.
Accelerometer shortcut (Cybook Opus)
Accelerometer can be enabled/disabled with “Menu” + “Enter” shortcut.
Side buttons (Cybook Opus)
Side buttons can be flipped (“Advanced…” menu), allowing one hand page turns with thumb on lower button (portrait modes only).
Improvement (Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition)
- Lower power consumption in suspend modes.
- Faster pagination mode.
USB activity (400MHz Cybooks only)
LED now blinks during USB transfers.
Bug fix (Cybook Opus)
Under some circumstances, accelerometer would stay in suspend mode and would not unlock until deactivated and reactivated.
Corrections in Finnish & Spanish user interface.
Latest features (version 2.1 only)
Table of Contents (ePub/PDF/FB2)
Complete TOC now displayed, including potential multi-levels.
- New heuristics to process text.
- Specifically, Gutenberg Project texts will now be rendered better and faster.
- Also, now accepts any text encoding.
Hyperlinks & metadata support.
Fix (bug in version 2.0)
ePub & PDF metadata handling corrected in “Library”.
Fix (bug in version 2.0)
Lower memory consumption with large font files.
Latest features (version 1.6 only)
- Faster accesses in “Lookup” mode.
- Note: dictionaries must be located at the root of folder “eBooks”.
Prior features (common to versions 1.5 & 2.0)
Adaptative and faster ever e-paper user interface (works on all Cybooks from 2007 to 2010).
While reading and also in the “Library”, keeping next/prev. page button pressed will enter ultra-fast pagination mode (works on all Cybooks).
Folder view (“Library”)
Allows browsing within self-organized folders.
- Virtually infinite menus (was previously limited to the display visible height).
- File “Delete” option (in “Library”, also plugged to Gen3 4th button).
“+” and “-” shortcuts
- Shortcut to increase/decrease size or zoom in/out.
- Note 1: on Cybook Opus, use “Menu” button + top/bottom side button.
- Note 2: during audio playback (Cybook Gen3), will increase/decrease volume.
- Note 3: on 200MHz versions (v1 & v2), will only work if another key has been pressed within 2s.
Overall stability (especially card detection, random freezes).
Prior features (versions 2.0 only)
12 font sizes
From very small to very large (works with ePub, HTML, FB2, TXT).
Customizable font family
You can add your own TrueType fonts within the “Fonts” folder (works with ePub, HTML, FB2, TXT).
Layout can be switched between justified and left-aligned text (works with ePub, HTML, FB2, TXT).
Allows setting text in bold for maximized contrast (works with ePub, HTML, FB2, TXT).
FB2 format support
FictionBook (.fb2) files are now supported.
Automated character set recognition
For HTML, FB2 & TXT files (works with Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Chinese, Japanese & Korean).
- To install this firmware update, a storage card is needed (SD for Cybook Gen3, microSD for Cybook Opus).
- From your computer, format the storage card in FAT32.
- You do not need to save your personal files. This firmware update will keep your Cybook internal memory untouched.
How to Download
- On your computer, go to bookeen.com and to section “Support”, “Download”.
- Login, select and download the firmware update file.
- Extract the content of the downloaded zip file.
- You should get a single file “update_kernel”: this is the firmware update utility.
- Copy the file “update_kernel” to the root of the storage card.
How to Install
- Make sure your Cybook is fully charged.
- Switch off your device.
- Insert the storage card into your Cybook.
- Switch on your device.
- When the boot image is visible (Cybook & Bookeen logotypes), press the center key of the navigation pad and keep it pressed for a few seconds until the screen flashes.
- When the screen flashes, you can release the key: the update process has started.
- The update completes in a couple of minutes.
- Once updated, Cybook will switch off with “Upgrade successful” message (400MHz versions) or will automatically restart (200MHz versions).
- Delete the file “update_kernel” from the storage card and from your computer. This file will not be useful anymore.
- Congratulations! Your Cybook has been upgraded.
How to Check my Firmware Version
- Open the contextual menu.
- Open "Advanced…" then "About…".
- "Boo Reader" section shows "Version: x.y (build z)".