One of the best things about the annual Book Expo America event in New York is all of the different keynotes and sessions. This is where authors, agents and publishers get a sense of trends in the industry. Book Expo America is doing something very different at the 2016 event, they are encouraging librarians to visit with an entirely new track of events and sessions.
Book Expo America has officially partnered with the American Library Association. The new conference tracks developed for this year’s show tap into two red-hot segments for the industry today. The children’s publishing track will address one of the strongest areas of the publishing and bookselling industry, utilizing industry experts to provide insight and direction on current trends and a take a look ahead at what consumers and booksellers can expect. Within the self-publishing track authors and service providers will explore the opportunities to reach readers, build sales, and establish a social presence with readers.
The Library Insight track will be bolstered with sessions by Libraries Transform: ALA@BEA which is sponsored by Libraries Transform, the American Library Association’s national public awareness campaign, and Overdrive, Inc. These Sessions will draw hundreds of additional librarians to BEA and cover new terrain in Readers Advisory, nurturing local writers, and working with Marketing teams from the Big Five publishers to help patrons.
Other conference tracks slated for this year’s BEA Content & Digital Conference include:
- Marketing & Engagement—Learn everything about digital, social, and print marketing so you can attract new customers, connect with readers, capitalize on consumer-facing websites and have strong ongoing conversations that can be measured by data.
- ABA Education—Designed for independent booksellers by the American Booksellers Association and BEA, but open to everyone! You will learn how bookstores can differentiate themselves, maximize business, and thrive in today’s challenging world of books and reading.
- Analytics, Tech & Mobile—Time to get techy! Learn about all things tech, mobile, industry standards, analytics, mixed with innovations and platforms that are trending. Sessions are designed to cater to all levels of learners.
- Business of Publishing—Discover new directions, opportunities, business models and research that can be applied to the challenges you are experiencing with the electronic and print publishing products in today’s global marketplace.
- Content: Readers & Authors—What’s buzzing in books?! Do not miss seeing and learning about books, books and more books for Fall/Winter 2016, including BEA Editors’ Buzz!
- Global Market Forum: Poland—This is a unique and rare opportunity to learn all about the exciting and growing Polish book market highlighted by networking opportunities with key players from Poland’s leading publishers.
- Children’s Publishing – One of the strongest areas of the publishing and bookselling industry – children’s books will be explored with industry experts providing insight and direction and a look into the future.
- Self-Publishing – Authors and service providers will have the unique opportunity to explore the opportunities, success stories and business models that are making waves in the world of self-publishing. Discover the best practices that are allowing authors to reach readers, build sales and establish a social presence with readers.
“This year’s programming will tackle the issues critical to the growth of the publishing industry and provide practical education that impacts their day to day businesses results,” said Steve Rosato, Event Director. “BEA’s Content & Digital Conference provides a significant added value for every participant and we look forward to adding more content in the weeks to come.”
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and Verge.