Pocketbook has just issued a firmware update for its first Android driven e-reader and it enhances many new features. You get new apps to read, a revised homescreen and many more great enhancements.
Lets talk a bit about the major upgrades to the Pocketbook 701 IQ experience. First of all, it upgraded the homescreen and shortcuts to many of its applications. It also added new widgets and an extended wallpaper collection.
The e-Reading experience has also been bolstered with the addition of Adobe Reader for PDF and ePub formats. It also now also support for Adobe Digital Editions. It also added a new ebook store for people who have the EU edition of the firmware.
You can download the EU version of the firmware HERE and the Russian version HERE. If you have never loaded an update on your Pocketbook 701 IQ before, you can read the instructions HERE. Check out the full details of the firmware enhancements below.
1. System video player. Next video formats are supported recently:
a. .3gp (H.263, MPEG-4 SP codecs)
b. .mp4 (H.263, MPEG-4 SP, H.264 AVC (Baseline Profile (BP) codecs)
2. Yandex applications set (CIS firmware only):
c. Electric Trains Schedule
1. Adobe Reader for e-books of .pdf and .epub formats
2. ‘Reflow’ and ‘Go to page’ for Adobe Reader
3. Protected books (DRM) download support
4. Text-to-Speech (TTS) volume adjusting using device hardware buttons (‘Volume +/-‘ on the side panel)
1. New Home Screen
2. New shortcuts
d. Ebooks Shop (EU firmware only)
3. Extended wallpaper collection
4. New widgets
a. Continue Reading
b. Yandex.Weather (CIS firmware only)
1. Option ‘Search’ in Settings
2. Applications ‘DevTools’ and ‘Spare Parts’
3. Displaying system and hidden folders
1. Shortcuts: ‘Email’, ‘Gallery’, ‘Notes’, ‘Books’, ‘Settings’, ‘Dictionary’, ‘Registration’
2. Browser homepage: http://bookland.net/go/iq/
3. Default library view: bookshelves
4. Free external card memory for applications information: Settings > SD card & Memory
1. Extended and fixed next localizations: 中文, Қазақша, Nederlands, العربية , Deutsch, Португальский, Polski, Français, Italiano, Spanish.
2. TTS playback errors when display orientation changed
3. Increased power consumption after synchronization in sleep mode (so called ‘Night awakening’).
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and Verge.