Overdrive is going to be dramatically revising the way their service performs on libraries websites. The platform enables first-time users to get started more easily and connects returning users to their book faster than ever. In addition, Overdrive have built new features that gives more control to libraries, allowing librarians to customize their website menu, featured collections, and more. Some of these enhancements are available now and more will be coming soon.
Here are some of the top features you’ll find in the new OverDrive:
- Speed – The new OverDrive is redesigned from the ground-up to give the best and fastest experience discovering and reading content.
- Ease of use; clear layout – The new OverDrive has been reimagined with a clean user interface which makes it easy for new and returning users to quickly browse and navigate.
- Responsive design – The new OverDrive features an improved responsive design optimized for mobile users that looks and works great on any screen or device.
- Accessibility features – The new OverDrive site is our most accessible product yet. It is designed to work well for users with screen readers and those using our high-contrast and dyslexic font options.
- More self-service library customization options:
- Featured Collections – The new OverDrive gives added control to librarians to create curated lists to highlight their content, including new automation and filtering options. These collections can be used and accessed all over the site.
- Site customization – In addition to the site being customized with a library’s colors and logo, libraries can also add their social media links to further engage users with library news and events (available under Library Information in OverDrive Marketplace).
- Smarter URL Structure – The new OverDrive uses shorter and more intuitive URLs which are easier to share, bookmark, and reuse for both titles and searches. Featured collections have URLs which can be shared as well, even for lists not published to the main site.
- Search – The new OverDrive’s search has been enhanced, giving better speed and new options, such as filtering by multiple subjects at once. Additional search enhancements (such as sorting by date added or popularity) are coming soon.
- Multiple Sign-In Options – The new OverDrive allows users to login in multiple ways: using their library card, their email address, or Facebook. Of course, a library card is required to borrow and read content, and can be linked to your email or Facebook account through a one-time process.
- Enhanced Security – The new OverDrive site is designed to run completely using HTTPS. We value library users’ security and privacy, and this helps ensure a secure browsing experience.
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and Verge.