News Republic is one of the best apps for the smartphone and many users perfer it to Apple News, Google Play Newstand, or Flipboard. Cheetah Mobile has just announced that they have just developed a customized version of their e-reading app for Samsung smartphones.
Here are some of the key features found only in the News Republic app for Samsung phones.
- Text-to-speech: Article pages now have a speaker icon that users can tap to activate text-to-speech functionality. Playback controls will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Long-press for more info: Within a news article, Samsung users can now long-press on a topic to view Wikipedia information without leaving the article.
- Edge Panel news: Samsung Galaxy S7 edge owners can get the freshest news, simply by opening their Edge Panel app. A list of Breaking News will appear, and a single tap will open the article of interest.
- Gear S3 widget: News Republic is now compatible with the Gear S3. The new widget displays the Top Stories, and users can click to read the full articles, with the help of a circular scroll bar, directly from their smartwatch.
- Newsstand: Users can select individual news outlets to follow from within the app. News Republic’s learning algorithm will also recommend content providers directly in the article list page.
News Republic is not the only company to develop a customized app for Samsung mobile devices. A few years ago Amazon made a Kindle app that gives Samsung users the ability to download one free e-book a month, from a limited pool of titles.
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and Verge.