There are hundreds of e-readers on the market and the vast majority of them receive no firmware updates. Even the big companies like Barnes and Noble hardly ever update their older models with new functionality, opting instead on marketing new devices. Amazon continues to buck this trend by continuing to support older models and today the Kindle Paperwhite 1 has received a major firmware update.
- Support for Family LibraryWith Family Library, you can link two Amazon accounts and share books on your Kindle Paperwhite and other compatible Amazon devices and apps. To learn more, visit Family Library.
- Support for Kindle FreeTime UnlimitedKindle FreeTime Unlimited is an optional monthly subscription for Kindle FreeTime that offers thousands of books for children ages three- to eight-years-old.
- Word Wise – See Hints for Difficult WordsWith Word Wise, you can see simple definitions and synonyms displayed inline above more difficult words while you read. Word Wise makes it easier to understand challenging books more quickly.
- X-Ray ImprovementsExplore the “bones of a book” with an improved timeline and the ability to browse images and filter by Notable Clips.
- Deeper Goodreads IntegrationGoodreads on Kindle makes it quicker to access and update your reading status and adds the ability to preview and purchase books without leaving Goodreads.
- Periodical ImprovementsYou can access up to 40 magazine back issues from the cloud on your device. Multiple issues of the same periodical are now collected together.
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CBC, CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and the New York Times.