EPUB3 is out there, but not all of its new features are supported by current readers. As a matter of fact, most of the new features are NOT supported at all (see above chart). Now comes Helicon Books with the Gyan Reader, which they claim will support all the new EPUB3 features, including:
- Full support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) including animated SVG.
- Displaying mathematical formulas using W3C MathML standard.
- Support for RTL languages including page progression direction.
- Support for Media overlay (speak aloud as called by Apple) for audio books or mixed text and audio.
- Support for fixed layout mainly for comics and children’s book.
- Support for integrated video
Paul Biba is a retired corporate international lawyer who has worked in 53 countries. Since he is a very fast reader he came to ebooks out of self-defense in order to avoid carrying a suitcase of books on his travels around the world. An early ebook adopter, he has read on Palms, Pocket PCs and practically every device that has been out there. After being a frequent contributor to TeleRead.com, the oldest ebook/epublishing blog on the net, Paul became TeleRead’s Editor-in-Chief, a position he recently resigned. Send Paul an email to email@example.com