The Onyx Boox Note Pro is a lovely e-note and is significantly cheaper than the Note 2, many people dig the glass based display. Onyx has just released a huge update for this device and it brings a number of enhancements to the ebook reading experience.
1. Highlights on flow documents can be exported to third-party services (EverNote, OneNote).
2. Add a right-left page-turning mode (the initial pages on the right side).
3. Optimized the toolbar of scribble and sidenote. For the brush and eraser tools, single-click to toggle tools, and double-click to expand more options.
4. Add a setting for showing a bookmark, which can be disabled via Settings-Global Settings.
5. Optimized the page preview (every 1/4/9 pages).
6. Now users can add a specific password or use a screen lock password for notes.
7. Auto-refresh after lifting the stylus, 500ms by default, which can be customized.
8. Optimized the toolbar of Note. For the brush and eraser tools, single-click to toggle tools, and double-click to expand more options.
9. Optimized the toolbar interface. All toolbars have been moved to the top.
Support to customize the tool positions on the toolbar.
10. Add a feature of AI original recognition, showing the converted text at the original handwriting position.
11. Now it allows inserting images to notes.
12. Automatically optimize third-party apps with default optimization settings when they’re opened. Allow to manually customize the settings.
13. App optimization now is only available with the Navigation ball. Canceled the way of long-pressing icons for calling out app optimization.
14. The display modes (normal mode, speed mode, A2 mode, X mode) can be set for every app.
15. Add the options of full-page, volume to Navigation Ball settings.
16. The Navigation ball is enabled by default (for quickly running app optimization).
17. The global display modes (normal mode, speed mode, A2 mode, X mode) are prior to the display mode settings for individual apps.
18. Add a global contrast setting.
19. Add a built-in display rotation feature (support 4 directions).
20. Speech recognition supports punctuation recognition. There’s no pause time limit now (only for devices with Mic).
21. Add a system setting: Settings — Password (the original library settings have been moved to the pull-down menu of Library interface).
22. The storage can be shown in a list or two columns.
23. Optimized some other UI.
The Onyx Boox Note Pro is on sale at the Good e-Reader Store. You can get a Black Friday deal on it, via a coupon code for $429
Michael Kozlowski is the Editor in Chief of Good e-Reader. He has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past ten years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CBC, CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and the New York Times.