Onyx Boox is going to be upgrading the MAX 3, Note 2, Nova 2 and Poke 2 sometime in November. This new update will be pushed out via the update system in the settings menu. It introduces a slew of new features, such as the ability to screencast from the hardware to the PC and also run two Android apps at once.
These are all of the new things the last generation of Onyx Boox products will be able to do, but it is important to note, the Android version will not be increasing from Android 9 to Android 10, it will be staying the same. Still, there are some powerful new enhancements for the ebook reading and note taking experience.
- Support screencast ( It only supports to mirror screens to Win10 computers. Mac PCs are not supported currently)
- Split-Screen supports third-party Apps (Apps optimization and screencast are disabled under Split-Screen )
- Add grouping Apps ( this supports bulk management)
- The screensaver supports to rotate to horizontal orientation
- Push pictures for Screensaver directly via push.boox.com
- Add Clock Screensaver
- Add Onyx Subscription
- The Navigation Ball supports resident buttons which offer quick access to different functions
- Add Gallery, which supports picture editing. ( The picture is still opened by NeoReader by default. Please open images with Gallery if you need to edit them)
- Add keeping Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Audio active during sleep mode. (This is off by default. Go to System Settings / Power Management to enable it)
- Add NeoBrowser
- Optimize the second-screen interface (only 13.3″ supports this function）
- Support Gestures
- Optimize the look-up interface of Dictionary
- Support to select and look up English phrases
- Support zooming under PDF scrolling mode
- Optimize PDF sharpening effect
- Optimize the layout of highlights and annotations when they are exported to the third-party note-taking Apps.
- Change the upper right corner to quickly add bookmarks using the stylus (this area does not support to turn pages using stylus any more)
- Optimize the main menu interfaces
- Support third-party dictionary Apps
- Add list mode
- Add layers (template layer + 5 custom layers ) .
- Add Pencil and marker ( The pencil color is only in black)
- Add copy and paste among different notepads (Go to Notes thumbnail view, select and copy to )
- Add switch to another notepad within a Notepad (Tap Notepad name and expand the list, then select the notepad you want to switch to)
- Optimize the stroke eraser. (The template is no longer covered. The erased content will no longer be displayed after the selection area of lasso tool is moved)
- Onyx Cloud Notes Sync supports background sync
- Add Toolbar indicator to full-screen mode of the Notes
- Add exit alert ( It is off by default. Go to Notes Settings to enable it. This is to avoid exiting the Notepad by accidental touch).
- Add color stroke display effect switch (original color shows non-black on BOOX)
Michael Kozlowski has been writing about audiobooks and e-readers for the past twelve years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as the CBC, CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and the New York Times. He Lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.