Verdict: 5 Stars
2013 has been predicted to be the year of the enhanced ebook, despite the fact that fully interactive app books with embedded video, hyperlinks, and narration are not new. The predictions for the newer appreciation of enhanced content are really focused on the understanding that digital publishers have finally gotten it right when it comes to these bells-and-whistles approaches to reading. Rather than just incorporating multi-media features because they have the capability, publishers and app developers are targeting the technology to areas of need in reading.
One specific title that fully utilizes the capacity of the technology is The New Sunset Western Garden Book, a well-known gardening bible recreated by Inkling for tablet consumption. With alphabetical chapters by flower type, full-color high-resolution photos, an easy-to-search index, and even planning guides for creating gardens by region, the book has left its bestselling print format behind and taken complete advantage of all that an iPad can do.
“Specific features include:
- Slideshows: Tap through more than 100 high-res photo slideshows, organized by plant, garden trend, and growing features like native plants, low-water gardens, and more.
- More than 30 interactive images: There are approximately 30 interactive images, including 15 Climate Zone Maps with tappable poptips to help with climate zone identification and key characteristics of each zone.
- Navigation grids: Jump straight to the content you want at a tap—and without flipping to the index
- Gardening notes: Document your personal gardening successes—and challenges. Notes sync between devices, so you can access them whether you’re on your iPad or iPhone.
- Social sharing: Find advice from other gardeners, or share what you’re reading directly to your Facebook and Twitter feeds. Your friends can instantly access whatever you’ve shared—for free!
- Inkling Platform: Every title on Inkling comes equipped with features for improving how you use your book. Search for a word or phrase instantly, even looking it up in Google and Wikipedia. Sync bookmarks, create highlights and notes, and seamlessly share those notes with friends within the book itself.”
While still categorized as a useful reference for gardeners, the image quality and photos also put the Sunset book in the realm of a coffee table book with its stunning photos and slideshow feature. The Sunset book is available at full-book price or in individual chapters, just in time for spring planting from Inkling.